Saturday, February 14, 2009

Chanti's Demise

“Roses are red, the rooster is dead”
She said as she cooked up the soup
Not Chanticleer! What happened my dear?
“He was offed by the chicks in the coop”

“It seems he forgot and was henpecked to death
So the scene did appear that I found
He had failed to remember, and clucked his last breath
I have noticed it’s going around!”

What could Chanti forget? His head’s really quite good!
Or at least it had been when he had it
But now he is gone, being boiled like a prawn…
Could you throw in some onion and carrots?

She grimaced then glared, I was caught in her stare
It was stink-eye like I’d never seen
And that’s when I knew, a chill raced down my spine
Déjà vu again how could it be?

Cupid’s day had near passed while I’d been out to play
With the boys at the Happy-Time Lounge
Though I’d won a big stake, playing Hold’em quite late
I could see I must go back to town

I flew out the door, time to waste I’d no more
It was Valentine’s Day, I now knew it
And if I should fail I’d enjoy no more ale
With my friends and they’d all say I blew it

It was late, as I said, and I surveyed my head
For just what I might do to make right
Knowing not what to do, I did panic it’s true!
And I made for the Open-all-Night’s

Hitting Speedway, the Duke, Dairy Mart and BP
For a gift that spoke romance, but none were to be
So I thought, “Maybe dinner romantic and light”
And I laid out my winnings to salvage the night

Normal fare would not do, all the best I’d provide
I would show my sweet peep I’m no capon
With cuisine of convenience (and not to be crude)
I drove home for romantic sensation

I laid out the vittles, the table I set
With the Slyders I’d grabbed on the way
There was Red Bull for drinking, and one could plain see
Mighty Mouse-like how I’d saved the day

Dining late in the night, she partook of my gift
With some soup on the side, it was nice
Before heading to bed, she first pointed, then said
“To the sofa, now heed my advice”

Stretching out on the couch, my thoughts wandered and trailed
Couldn’t make a good guess, at just how I had failed
It was then that it hit, like a lightning bolt strike
So men hear me now, don’t throw the dice

If you want to avoid a long string of bad nights
Make her ever so glad you’re her man
Come next Valentine’s Day, show some class, do it right
And remember Spray-Cheese-in-a-Can!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails